Friday, October 06, 2006

Strength in Forgiveness

It is my privilege to teach the Youth (6th - 12th grades) Sunday School Class at my church. Because our pastor draws his sermon topics from the Revised Common Lectionary, I try to choose topics for discussion from those scriptures as well.
I recently read a post concerning the question whether being angry at God is a sin. There are those who believe it is, and those who believe God understands our anger. This week's Lectionary includes passages from Job - one who dared to demand answers from God as a result of the tragedies that had destroyed his children, his property, and had brought a barrage of questions from his "friends" who had determined that Job must have committed horrendous sins to receive such punishment from God. Even his wife said, "Curse God and die!"
In light of what has transpired over the past week at schools in Colorado, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, I believe the topic of anger - regardless of to whom the anger is directed - is one we should roll up our sleeves and tackle.
In a suicide note left for his wife, Charles Carl Roberts IV, the man who shot the 10 young Amish girls in Nickel Mine, PA, stated:
"...the tragedy with Elise...changed my life forever...I am filled
with so much hate, hate toward myself, hate toward God and
unimaginable emptiness..."
Interviews with members of the Amish community have given me hope for our world while humbling me beyond words. Deep within my spirit I know they are living the love and forgiveness Jesus demonstrated during His life on earth. They are the Gospel brought to life. When asked if the community felt anger about what had happened, the response was (forgive my paraphrase), "God allowed this to happen. Many of us view it as a test of faith, knowing there is strength in forgiveness. We feel compassion for his (Mr. Roberts) wife and children, and feel a great sadness for him that he couldn't cope with life."
It has also been reported that the two oldest girls asked to be shot first, hoping their sacrifice would stop his rampage on the younger girls.
It's so true that hatred and vengeance and terrorism and violence will never be prevented simply because we promise retribution in kind. Only by changing the heart can we end such atrocities - only by showing our strength in forgiving.
The students in our class have always been willing to share their thoughts on many different subjects, and they never fail to knock my socks off with their insights. A few years ago we were discussing an animal abuse situation that occurred at a local high school and I made the comment that I didn't understand how anyone could do such a horrible thing. One of my students responded, "Everyone is capable of being mean. We just choose not to be because we know Jesus."
Being angry with God happens - Scripture is filled with examples. My faith tells me to take my anger with God to Him, talk earnestly with Him about it, then listen for His answer. He will answer and give us the strength we need to begin to forgive. That's when our hearts will begin to heal.

No comments: